BROUGHTON’S RULES (1743)
First box rules are called Broughton. These rules were introduced by heavyweight champion Jack Broughton in 1743. His aim was to prevent mortal boxing fight in boxing matches.
According to these rules, if the boxer could not continue to compete within 30 seconds after knocking down, that match was over. When the boxer was knocked down, the punching and hugging were forbidden by Broughton rules. Broughton has also invented a kind of glove made from foulard used in demonstration matches and training. This was first in boxing.
LONDON PRIZE RING RULES
In 1814, a boxing club named ‘London Prize ring’ was established to control boxing events. This is the first boxing club in boxing history, and the rules had been accepted by the United States of America.
In 1838 London Prize Ring rules were written. Then these rules were revised again in 1853 and the following conditions were accepted.
Fights will be held in a ring surrounded by ropes of 7.3 square meters.
If a boxer was knocked down in the ring, he will be allowed to stand up again in 30 seconds and continue to fight.
Biting, headbutting, hitting the lower half of the body will be declared as a foul.
These rules were applied for the first time in the British Championship match which James Deaf fought against Williams Bendigo.
MARQUESS of QUEENSBERRY RULES (1867)
In 1867, the Marquess of Queensberry rules were first drafted by John Chambers for the lightweight, medium weight and heavyweight amateur boxing championship in London’s Lillie Bridge area. These rules were published as Marquess of Queensberr and were always mentioned with this name. There were 12 rules and these rules were determined for “a fair stand-up boxing match”. The rounds were limited to 3 minutes and there was a 1 minute break between each round.
If the boxer was knocked down, 10 second was given to start the fight again.
The first world heavyweight boxing champion under Queensberry rules was Corbett, nicknamed ‘gentleman Jim’ who defeated John L. Sullivan at the Pelican Athletic Club, New Orleans in 1892.